Aug 7, 2018

Self Help Guide: How to get out of a rut



# Go outdoors

I think the sun and nature is the best pick-me-up. Physically stepping out of the house or the office signals a change in sensations and can bring the mind away for a bit. For me, it works best when I stop listening to music and listen to everything around me. Being plugged into my earphones blocks everything out and I stay in the miserable state. People watching or just observing everything as it passes shift my attention away from myself, giving me a break from yourself.

# Make a to-do list

It’s very overwhelming to have your mind racing at 150km/h, with so many things you want to do, but at the same time feeling lost because you don't know where to start. Write everything down (whether it’s a very small errand or a light bulb moment for a new project), this gives your mind some clarity when it’s something tangible – a list. You can organise those points in order of priority, and complete them one by one. It’s very satisfying and fulfilling to cross off a task on a list and it also provides visible progress, so you know how far you are until completion.

Tip on list making: break each point up into smaller chunks so the task won’t seem as daunting.

# Workout

Get the blood moving in your body! Getting your mind off of the mental load and challenging your body will definitely get some of that frustration out. I do Thai boxing and hitting that sandbag releases my stress. Don’t stress yourself out about doing proper workouts, just dance to some music or do a song workout (here ). Whatever floats your boat, you would feel better and maybe more motivated afterwards.

# Meditation

For those of you who have never tried, this may sound very hipster, but meditation can be very simple. It’s not about the incense, the zen, it’s just a small bit of time to focus on the present; not about what is going to happen afterwards, not about what you did wrong an hour ago, but just what’s happening now. It worked very well for me when I felt very stressed and exhausted. You only need to take 5 minutes out of your day just be aware of what’s happening now.

It wasn’t easy for me when I first started because it’s hard NOT to think about other things when you’re literally sat there doing nothing. But try to really focus on the breathing and regulate it .You wouldn’t even realize the five minutes had past.

When I first started, I downloaded a guided meditation app, where I chose the duration and purpose of the meditation. There are plenty of free apps on the market you can choose from (like these ones). You could even load up a Youtube video if you fancy.

These are just things I find helps me. When you’re in a rut or really want a ‘restart’, don’t be too hard on yourself. Do what makes you happy; don’t force yourself to do something you might not be proud of. Give yourself some time.


Hope you are well.

Love,

Vivien


1 comment: